Personal Injury Lawyers in Houston TX | O'Hara Law Firm

5511 18 wheeler accident smallorigina2e16d0bafilloriginal 81a2a39d

What if a Company Truck or 18-Wheeler Hits My Car?

1. Do not leave the scene of the accident.

Staying at the scene of the accident will avoid confusion. Even if the accident is not your fault, it could be alleged that you were responsible and fled the scene if you leave without exchanging information. Gather as much information as possible. Get the other person’s drivers license, insurance information, names of witnesses, and car license plates.

2. Call the police.

The truck driver might admit fault at the scene and then change his story later if there is no evidence to contradict his new story. The police will interview both parties and any independent witnesses (if there are any). It is much easier to prove your case if there is a police report placing blame on the other driver for the motor vehicle collision.

3. Take pictures of the car, truck and debris.

The pictures will help prove your property damage and show the location of the vehicles when the accident happened if you take pictures before moving the vehicles off the road.

4. Call your insurance company.

Report the accident to your insurance company. Do not talk about how you feel because many people start feeling pain the next day. If you tell the insurance agent that you are physically fine, the statement could be used against you later.

5. Go to the hospital immediately if you are injured.

Do not wait a few days to see if you feel better. Go immediately. Insurance companies will argue that you were not seriously hurt if you wait.

6.Do not talk to the insurance company for the truck driver.

Insurance adjustors are trained to take down information to try to help the insured truck driver avoid liability. The insurance adjustor for the truck driver is not on your side. Hire an attorney and let him or her deal with the opposing insurance company.

7. Do not sign anything!

Do not sign anything until after you have hired an attorney. An adjustor might attempt to get you to sign something that will forbid you from seeking compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. Hire an experienced attorney that will protect your rights.

8. Hire an attorney.

The experienced Patrick O’Hara, with O’Hara Law Firm, will help you get the best possible compensation for your pain and suffering, lost wages and medical bills. Do not let an insurance company give you a low ball offer.

Car Accident Attorney Houston, TX